Happipad is an online platform that connects individuals who have a spare bedroom for rent (“Hosts”) with individuals who are seeking fixed-term affordable rental accommodations (“Guests”) by providing a platform for Hosts and Guests to connect and enter into shared living arrangements and facilitating the payment of Rent and related fees from Guests to Hosts (collectively, the “Services”).
The Services are accessible at happipad.com and any other websites through which we make the Services available from time to time (collectively, the “Website”) and as applications for mobile, tablet, and other smart devices and application program interfaces (collectively, the “Application”). The Website, Application, and Services are owned and operated by Happipad Technologies Inc. (“us”, “we”, “our”).
1. Definition of Personal Information
Personal information is defined as information that can identify an individual and information about an identifiable individual, which means a person can be identified by the information either directly or in combination with other information.
2. Collection of Personal Information
We collect and process your personal information only when we have a lawful basis to do so. Lawful bases include your consent, the fulfillment of our contractual rights or obligations, complying with applicable law, and the legitimate interests of us or third parties (provided that processing your data for a legitimate interest does not outweigh your rights and freedoms).
Examples of a legitimate interest include: (a) analyzing user data to maintain and improve the Website, Application, or Services for all users; (b) providing you with access to our Website, Application, and Services; (c) providing you with up-to-date information about new features of our Website, Application, or Services; and (d) engaging third-party providers to deliver certain features of the Website, Application, or Services. You may withdraw your consent or object to a legitimate interest at any time by contacting us at the email address provided below.
We collect, process, and retain personal information from you and any devices (including mobile devices) you use when you access our Website, Application, or Services; register for an Account; provide us information on a web form; update or add information to your Account; participate in community discussions, chats, or dispute resolution; or when you otherwise correspond with us.
Personal information that we may collect may include:
- identifying information such as your name, addresses, telephone number, email addresses, and IP addresses;
- location data and demographic data such as your gender and age;
- any content that you generate, or that is connected to you, as a result of creating an Account or creating or submitting an application for a Room Listing;
- other content that you submit, post, upload, or publish;
- financial and billing information (such as credit card or bank account numbers) in connection with your Account;
- any other information you provide us through a web form, by updating or adding information to your Account, through your participation in community discussions, chats, dispute resolution, or when you otherwise correspond with us; and
- additional information we are required or authorized by applicable laws to collect and process in order to authenticate or identify you or to verify the information we have collected.
3. Use of Personal Information
We use the personal information we collect to:
- provide, improve, and personalize our content and the Services;
- communicate with you about your Account and our Website, Application, and Services;
- provide you customer service;
- provide you with personalized advertising and marketing communications;
- detect, prevent, mitigate, and investigate fraudulent or illegal activities; and
4. Security and Retention of Personal Information
We retain your personal information as long as it is necessary and relevant for our operations. In addition, we may retain your personal information, including information from closed Accounts, to comply with applicable laws, prevent fraud, collect any fees owed, resolve disputes, troubleshoot problems, assist with any investigation, enforce our Terms of Service, or take other actions permitted or required by applicable laws. After it is no longer necessary for us to retain your personal information, as determined by us in our sole discretion in accordance with applicable laws, we dispose of it in a secure manner according to our data retention and deletion policies.
Notwithstanding the above, we do not store your financial or billing information. When you submit your credit card or bank account information to us, it is transmitted directly to our payment processor, PaySafe, which is a PCI DSS compliant Level 1 Service Provider.
In recognition of our legal obligations to protect your personal information, we have made arrangements to protect against unauthorized access, collection, use, disclosure, copying, modification, disposal, or destruction of personal information.
5. Location of Servers
We may create, maintain, and archive information on servers that are not located on our immediate premises and are located in Canada or the USA, where the laws may be deemed by other countries to have inadequate data protection. Please be advised that a foreign government may be able to access data relating to your use of the Website, Application, and Services, including your personal information, for lawful access purposes. If you are located outside of Canada or the USA and you continue to use the Website, Application, or Services, you consent and continue to consent to us creating, maintaining, and archiving information on servers located on a third party’s premises within Canada and in the USA. We have agreements in place with our affiliates and contractors that include standard contractual clauses to protect your rights with respect to your data.
The Website, Application, and Services are intended for general audiences and are not directed to individuals under 19 (“Minors”). We do not knowingly collect personal information from Minors. If you are a Minor, please do not use the Website, Application, or Services or submit any personal information through the Website or Application. If you have reason to believe that a Minor has provided their personal information to us, please contact us at the email address provided below, and we will delete that information.
7. Disclosure of Personal Information
We do not disclose your personal information to third parties for their marketing and advertising purposes without your explicit consent. There are, however, certain circumstances in which we may share your personal information with certain third parties without further notice to you. This disclosure may be required for us to provide you access to our Services, to comply with our legal obligations, to enforce our Terms of Service, to facilitate our marketing and advertising activities, or to prevent, detect, mitigate, and investigate fraudulent or illegal activities related to our Services. These circumstances include, but are not limited to:
- Law Enforcement. We cooperate with government and law enforcement officials or private parties to enforce and comply with applicable laws. We may disclose any information about you to government or law enforcement officials or private parties as we, in our sole discretion, believe necessary or appropriate to respond to claims, legal process (including subpoenas), to protect our property or rights or the property or rights of a third party, the safety of the public or any person, to prevent or stop any illegal, unethical, or legally actionable activity, or to otherwise comply with applicable laws.
- Service Providers. We engage certain trusted third parties to perform functions and provide services to us, including, without limitation, hosting and maintenance, customer relationship, database storage and management, background checks, identification verification, and direct marketing campaigns. We will share your personal information with these third parties, but only to the extent necessary to perform these functions and provide such services, and only pursuant to binding contractual obligations requiring such third parties to maintain the privacy and security of your data.
8. Consent for Collection, User, and Disclosure
10. Third Party Services
11. Withdraw Consent
We only send promotional and marketing communications with your consent. If you no longer wish to receive these or other communications from us, please send us an email at the email address provided below. You can also stop receiving newsletter email communications from us by clicking on the “unsubscribe link” provided in such communications.
12. Requests to Access, Correct, or Delete
We take steps to ensure that the personal information we collect is accurate and up to date, and that you have the ability to access and make corrections to it. You can view and change your personal information by signing in to your Account. Please update your personal information immediately if it changes or is inaccurate.
Upon your request, we will close your Account and remove your personal information from view as soon as reasonably possible, based on your Account activity and in accordance with applicable laws.
Depending on the law that applies where you live, you may have additional rights, such as the right to request that we send your information to another organization of your choice (where technically feasible).
13. Improper Collection and Misuse of Personal Information
Please report any improper collection or misuse of personal information provided on the Website or Application to us at the email address provided below. Depending on the law where you live, you may also have the right to file a complaint with your local data protection authority.