If you are in Nova Scotia and have been affected by the wildfires, please click here to access our emergency housing assistance.

How to Become a Permanent Resident in Canada

There are many different routes that lead to permanent residency. First of all, when you have finished a study program of at least eight months (at a public or some private institutions), you are eligible for a Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP). This permit will be valid for the same length of time as your study program, with a maximum amount of three years. Often you even get a three-year PGWP when you have completed only a two-year program. As soon as you have a PGWP, you can start working in Canada and build up Canadian work experience. Depending on the program that you want to use later on, this should almost always be skilled work experience and not semi-skilled.

Every job in Canada is classified under a National Occupational Classification (NOC) code. Based on this code, we can determine whether the job is skilled (NOC 0, A or B) or semi-skilled (NOC C or D). Ask an expert to help you determine the proper job code.

One of the programs you can then qualify for is the Canadian Experience Class (CEC). Once you have (a) 12 months of skilled work experience in Canada and (b) valid language test results (not older than two years) at a Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) level 5 for NOC B jobs and CLB level 7 for NOC 0 or A jobs, you will meet the requirements of this program.

At this time, you can make an Express Entry (EE) profile. This is the processing system by which applications for permanent residency under the CEC are processed. Based on your personal situation you will be allotted points – all of which jointly give you your Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score. If your points are high enough, then you will receive an invitation from Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to submit an application for permanent residency. Your point score is based on: your age, language skills, level of education, Canadian and foreign work experience, your spouse’s or partner’s age, language skills, level of education and Canadian work experience. In addition, your score is based on whether you have completed a study program in Canada, have a Canadian sibling and a few other criteria.

Besides the CEC, there are the Federal Skilled Workers and Federal Skilled Trades classes along with the provincial nominee programs. Each province has been given the authority to select its own immigrants. None of these programs are the same, so it really depends on where you want to live and/or where you qualify best, as to which program will apply to you.

A certified immigration consultant at Red Moose Immigration Services Inc., Nicole M-L. Kleemaier-Raaijen, LLM, RCIC, can assist you professionally and competently throughout the entire application process. To set up an appointment, call her by phone at 250.215.9473 or visit the website of Red Moose

Related posts